Fortress at Vechten
The two-hundred-year-old Fortress at Vechten is part of the Nieuwe Hollandsche Waterlinie (New Dutch Waterline), an 85-kilometer-long military defensive line that was nominated for UNESCO’s World Heritage list in 1995.
Following the master plan designed by Jonathan Penne Architecten, West 8, and Rapp+Rapp, the fortress has been given a new function as Waterliniemuseum (Waterline Museum). Anne Holtrop designed a new pavilion which is located, just like the original casemates, below the grass-covered fortress. An eighty-meter-wide strip on which the fortress is returned to the original, austere geometric structure from about 1880, stretches across the landscape for a distance of 450 meters.
Penne Hangelbroek (partner Jonathan Penne Architects): “The master plan included the strip, the buildings, the bridges and the earthworks, which we restored meticulously. Besides, we were also consulted about the location of the new pavilion and the preferred architect. In the end, we have been given the space we needed, from giving direction to the contents of the exhibition to determining the signage.”
Photos: Ossip van Duivenbode